E-mail Sign Up
Sign up for the Chilewich newsletter today and be the first to discover our new products, latest news and more. Enter your email address below:
At Chilewich, we work with smart, fun, creative people who love what they do and don’t take themselves too seriously. We offer a competitive salary, medical, and dental insurance, a matching 401K program, generous vacation benefits, amazing employee discounts on our products and a great work-life balance.
Chilewich, a privately-owned family business, has built a world-renowned brand from the ground up. Designing textiles and producing finished products for both residential and commercial interiors is our passion. On the cusp of big growth, we have just completed a deep 6-month brand study and creative exploration in preparation for the next chapter.
As part of our growth we are excited to share a new, exciting opportunity for a weaver. This position would join our small design team and work alongside the Design Director and Master Weaver in our NYC studio. Chilewich is a creative and experimental environment- unusual in that much of what we do is still done by hand. Ours is a studio where surface patterns and color chips are painted by hand and where all weaves are brought to life on a 16 harness dobby loom. This position is a great opportunity for a creative and motivated individual with a passion for weaving and textiles to participate in the dialogue and development of a design focused and industry recognized brand.
• Design, develop, and execute new tabletop and floor weave structures
• Communicate complex weaving specifications to factories with ongoing interaction and supervision to ensure timely delivery according to specifications
• Support design team in all design / development related tasks.
• Participate as a team member from concept though execution of original designs which express the unique Chilewich brand.
• Provide specs and clear instructions of all new products to Chilewich Production team in order to transition smoothly from design to sampling and ultimately to production
• Understand and implement seasonal calendars to prioritize projects to meet deadlines
• Update and maintain library of past and current materials in the studio
• Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Textile Design
• Experience 2-3 years in textile design industry
• Creative and aesthetic design point of view compatible to the Chilewich vision.
• In depth understanding of weaving, weave structures, and surface design with proven work experience
• Must be capable of winding a warp and setting up a handloom properly
• In depth fine art/design knowledge
• Dedication to improving and designing processes to increase efficiency
• Impeccable organizational skills, the ability to multitask and a “no job is too small” attitude.
• Strong proficiency in Illustrator, Photoshop and Office software
• Nedgraphics and WeavePoint experience a plus
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Candidates with no prior experience in weaving will not be considered.
• Candidate must be located in New York City metro area.
Please send your resume to email@example.com
to apply for the Design Assistant role.